Tuesday, June 12, 2012

St. George - Day 1

I am visiting family in Mesquite, NV and I wanted to spend a day in St. George, Utah doing family history resreach.  Turns out, I will get two!!  Woohoo!  Today I went with my sister-in-law, Stephanie, and two of our kids to get clothes for them to take on the Pioneer Trek they are taking this week.  I am excited for Amanda to go on Trek and hopefully gain a much greater kinship to her pioneer ancesters.

So, today we went to the St. George City Cemetery where many of my ancestors are buried.  I have photos of Hector and Agnes McQuarrie's headstones and John and Ann Macfarlane's headstones, but they were not as nice a quality as I would like, and I wanted to get digital photos of them.  And, in the meantime I had found several other relatives that were buried there.

First, here are Hector and Agnes McQuarrie's headstones.  They are getting a bit deteriorated, so we covered them in water so they were more easily read.

Hector McQuarrie
1834-1920
grave site B-7-22-2

Agnes Gray McQuarrie
1835-1900
grave site B-7-22-1
Next to Hector's headstone there is one for Elizabeth M. McQuarrie.  I am gong to have to do some further research on who this is.  I believe it may be his second wife, but I am not entirely sure.  I have checked a family history website I use and there is severely conflicting data on who his second wife may have been.  All I know is that he moved to Salt Lake City in 1919, which was seven years after Elizabeth died.

The next grave I found was Agnes' father, Matthew Gray.


Matthew Gray
1808-1893
grave site A-F-100-3
Hector and Anges' oldest son is Robert Gray McQuarrie and he married Charlotte Ann Macfarlane.  (Robert and Charlotte's oldest daughter is Ruth McQuarrie Penrose, my great-grandmother.)

(I just realized as I was loading the photos here that I took a photo of the wrong headstone, so I have another errand to do when I go back to St. George on Thursday!)



Charlotte Ann Macfarlane McQuarrie
1858-1917
grave site B-9-8-3
The final headstones I took a photo of was the obelisk with John Menzies Macfarlane and his three wives, one on each side.  There are also grave markers for each of those that are buried there.


John Menzies Macfarlane
1833-1892
grave site A-A-6-2

John Menzies Macfarlane's grave marker

Ann Chatterley Macfarlane
1837-1926
grave site A-A-6-1

Ann Macfarlane's grave marker
Three of John and Ann's children are buried with them. 

Kate Macfarlane 1868-1869 (4 months old)

Duncan Sinclair Macfarlane 1871-1873 (2 years old)

Duncan Macfarlane 1874-1876 (21 months)
To see all the photos that I took at the cemetery, CLICK HERE.

After we left the cemetery, we drove up to 86 West Diagonal where the Gates-McQuarrie House is located.  This home belonged to Hector and Anges' son, Hector McQuarrie and his wife, Ella.


It sure is a gorgeous house!  It has been well taken care of!

The plaque that is on the sidewalk in front of the Gates-McQuarrie House
I am really looking forward to going back to St. George on Thursday!  I am going to go to the St. George Temple.  My 3rd great-grandparents, Ann Macfarlane and Hector McQuarrie, were both temple workers there for many years.  I will be going to the DUP Museum, which is housed in McQuarrie Hall.

Today I met a cashier at the DI Thrift Store in St. George whose great-grandfather was John Macfarlane.  Cousins!  I am willing to bet this town is full of relatives!

Direct line ancestry: Hector McQuarrie/Agnes McQuarrie --> Robert Gray McQuarrie/Charlotte Ann Macfarlane McQuarrie --> Ruth McQuarrie Penrose --> Lu Penrose Bond --> Kathryn Bond Berkowitz --> Lora Marshall Nehring
--and--
Direct line ancestry: John Menzies Macfarlane/Ann Chatterley Macfarlane --> Charlotte Ann Macfarlane McQuarrie/Robert Gray McQuarrie --> Ruth McQuarrie Penrose --> Lu Penrose Bond --> Kathryn Bond Berkowitz --> Lora Marshall Nehring

No comments:

Post a Comment