Friday, June 8, 2012

Preserving Our Heritage

I believe I have mentioned that I am a member of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers.  I will have been a member for twenty years in November of this year.  Our District's annual Convention was in Fresno this year, and I was in charge of the decorations.  I wanted to share the idea that I had for the decorations, as it had to do with my family history.


Using the theme, Preserving Our Heritage, I went with preserving.......preserves......canning......and this is the end result:




Several other people, including Carol, Kevin's mother, provided a great deal of the preserves and canning equipment for the centerpieces.  The photos in the jars are of many of my ancestors who crossed the plains themselves, and many others from mine and Kevin's families that were pioneers in coming to this country.



I used photos from my family history in the jars.  The invitations were done by another person and went perfectly with the decorations!



I also did a table showing different ways to preserve histories, including scrapbooks, Book of Remembrance, personal histories, journals, shadow boxes, scanning photographs and documents, blogs, and detailed artifact inventory.


I am applying for the DUP Honorary Heritage pin, as my grandmother, Lu Penrose Bond and my great-grandmother, Ruth McQuarrie Penrose, were also members of DUP.  I am honored to be in an organization that works so hard to preserve the heritage and histories of our beloved ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment