Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Honoring those who have served our country - Wilburta June Love

Next Sunday is the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I have been to the top of the World Trade Towers several times when I was studying architecture in New York. I have a drawing that I did of the New York skyline with the Towers in it. I remember that morning when I woke up and saw one tower burning, smoke billowing, on the television. It was surreal and at first I could not grasp what I was seeing. As the towers fell I cried and cried, knowing how many people must be in those buildings and the crushing destruction that was caused as they fell.

There is a website called 911day.org and I was impressed by their call to perform some act of service or tribute to honor those who lost their lives.

As I have mentioned before, we have a strong legacy of military service in this family. For generations, this family has served this country in it's times of need. I actually tried to join the Air Force when I was in college, but I wanted to fly jet fighters and I am unfortunately too short to be a pilot int he military.

In tribute to those who lost their lives on 9/11, and in honor of those who serve our country each day in the armed forces, this week I want to post stories of the members of our family who have selflessly served their country.

I am starting today with my Gma Willie - Wilburta June Love. Willie learned a strong patriotism from her parents and grandparents. While she was in High School she was a member of the ROTC, and an honorary battalion major.



From the 1939 Scroll Yearbook from Herbert Hoover High School in Glendale, California - in both photos, Wilburta Love is top center.

Wilburta was also the Captain of the Girl's Rifle Team which competed as high as the National matches which competed with squads from all over the United States.


Wilburta is on the left, holding the sword

After high school, Wilburta's military career continued.

From the book, "Grandma, Tell Me Your Memories. . . " WIlburta wrote to following:

"On 7 December 1941. . . I was just barely in Jr. College. Many boys in our high school class enlisted and many of us girls signed up for volunteer ambulance, nursing, etc. duty. We marched and took first aid, auto mechanics, etc. Many of us married instead of continuing our education because of "war fines". Nobody invaded the USA, but we thought it was a strong possibility in 1942 and 1943. Many friends - boys - died in the war.

"I could semaphore (signal) faster than anyone at a meet. Don't know why I remember that except the Morse code came into the lime-light during WWII.

"I was in parades only during '41-'43. I belonged to the Women's Ambulance Corps. Those were patriotic years!"


Wilburta is in the first row, third from the right


Wilburta is in the left center of the photo


Wilburta is in the group of two women in the center, in the back

Wilburta was promoted to First Lieutenant in the Glendale Women's Ambulance Corps and was in command of the first platoon.


an undated clipping from a Glendale newspaper

My grandmother is a very patriotic woman and I am grateful for the service that she gave for our country. I honor her today.

Direct line ancestry: Wilburta June Love --> Donald William (Caman) Marshall --> Lora Marshall Nehring

No comments:

Post a Comment