Sunday, July 24, 2011

Happy Pioneer Day!!

Today Latter-Day Saints around the world commemorate the day that the pioneers first entered the Salt Lake Valley on 24 July 1847.

There are many of our ancestors who spent weeks and months of unimaginable hardship crossing the empty plains of the West to reach their new home. They left behind homes, lands, family and friends. and lost possessions, body parts and family members along the way. It was a brutally difficult trip for many of them. Their determination, endurance and fortitude is an inspiration for us all.

Some of the Pioneers we honor today are: John Menzies Macfarlane, Ann Chatterley Macfarlane, John Chatterley, Nancy Morton Chatterley, Charles William Penrose, Louise Elizabeth Lusty Penrose, Hector McQuarrie, Agnes Gray McQuarrie, Allen McQuarrie, and Agnes Mathieson McQuarrie. (If I am forgetting any names - and I have just listed direct line ancestry - please feel free to add to the comments.)

Yesterday our Stake had it's Pioneer Day celebration with a breakfast, lots of games and activities for the kids and snow cones, cotton candy and face painting. You know, just like the pioneers! : )


Pioneer Day California style - everyone is crowded in the shade to stay out of the heat! : )


Katrina gets her face painted


Rebecca paints a wooden box

Pioneer Day has always been very special to me, as I have direct connection to those who came across the plains. I appreciate their sacrifices that are still very much a part of my life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment