Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Google Maps

The internet can be so cool!  Just for fun I have been entering addresses on Google Maps of great and great-great grandparents, whose homes I have photos of, to see if their homes are still there.  A lot of them are, and some are now parking lots or convenience stores.

When I was living in Arizona, my mom came to visit me and we found one of the homes that my mom had lived in as a child.  There really wasn't that much difference in the photos, other than an overhang.  And, yes, the house is still there.  I checked Googled Maps.  The overhang has been shabbily filled in to make another room.

1830 Indianola, Phoenix (Maricopa), AZ - 
My mom said she lived in this house when she was in the 1st grade, which would make this photo taken about 1949.

This photo was taken in 1992

I also looked up the home of my great-great grandparents, Frank and Henrietta Bond in Washington DC.  

This is a photo of Henrietta and Frank in front of their home in 1939.  

This is their home on 3127 Newark Street in Washington DC, probably taken around the same time frame.

I looked it up on Google Maps, and there it is!  It is s a lot closer to the road than it appears in this photo, but all the elements of the house are still there.

Unfortunately there is no way to save the maps on Google Maps, so if you are so inclined, you can always put the address in to see it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment